Communication is the lifeline of a well-functioning team. The TeamSTEPPS LTC Communication Module provides strategies and tools to improve the effectiveness of communication and promote sharing of information. Improving the quality of information exchange decreases communication-related errors.
Long term care professionals.
- Describe the importance of communication.
- Recognize the connection between communication and medical error.
- Define communication and the standards of effective communication.
- Describe strategies for information exchange.
- Identify barriers, tools, strategies, and outcomes to communication.
Tammy Baumann, RN, LSSGB, is a quality improvement advisor with the Great Plains Quality Innovation Network (GPQIN). Previously, Tammy was the director of nursing in a Critical Access Hospital. Tammy has many years of experience working in nursing homes and has more than 20 years’ experience in health care. Tammy is a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer. She is a strong advocate for quality and safety in health care.
Janet Endorf-Olson, BSN, RN, CPHQ, LSSGB, is the director of quality improvement and compliance manager for CIMRO of Nebraska, a member of the Great Plains Quality Innovation Network (GPQIN). She is a registered nurse and has worked in health care quality improvement since 1989. Janet is a certified TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer, is a Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ), and earned her Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification. Her background includes clinical experience in critical care nursing, facilitation of clinical process improvement teams, consultation in Lean thinking, and management, all with an emphasis in delivery of high quality, cost effective services.
- Go to: https://qualitynet.webex.com/mw3100/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=qualitynet.
- Look for your event by date and title, and click “Join Now”.
- Enter your name and email address.
- Password: Team
The automatic system set-up should start at this point. If a dialogue box appears, click run. This may take a few minutes.
- Call: 1-888-896-0862
Access code is 44270527
- If you have trouble accessing the meeting, call the Ventech Helpline at 1-540-347-7400 x390.
Download TeamSTEPPS LTC Communication Module.
Download slide handouts PDF TeamSTEPPS LTC Communication Module.
If you have questions, contact Krystal Hays, RN, MSN, RAC-CT, Great Plains Quality Innovation Network, email@example.com, 402-476-1399 ext. 522.
A Great 8+ presentation brought to you by Great Plains Quality Innovation Network, the QIN-QIO serving Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, in partnership with the QIN-QIOs serving Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.